In order to empower Project Managers with some tools and techniques to handle people-related issues in the Project Office, we’ve decided to go beyond simply talking about theory. So here are a few suggestions on how to recognise things that might lead to damaging behaviours by both yourself and others, and what you can do about it.
Take a look at these triggers for reasons why you might be exhibiting high stress and lower EQ. Do any of them apply to you?
- Lack of sleep (are you getting between 6 and 9 hours of sleep each night?)
- Lack of Exercise (been to the gym, or for a jog recently?)
- Criticising others
- Failing to reach your own and the Project Goals
- A feeling of being overwhelmed (for example by the number of emails marked ‘unread’ in your Inbox)
- Unable to switch off your mobile phone or BlackBerry
Are you doing any of these when communicating either face-to-face or by email with your colleagues / team-members?
- Persuading with ‘logic’?
- Giving ‘expert’ advice?
- Doing most of the talking?
- Making moral statements or judgments?
- Asking or making three or more questions / statements in a row?
- Telling someone “you have a problem”?
- Prescribing solutions?
If you are, then acknowledge that you might be part of the problem.
Here’s what you can do to improve the situation:
- Listen actively
- Express empathy
- Give people more time to think
- Deal positively with resistance
- Develop a “can do” attitude
- Work with people